Staff Developer Advocate
About the Job
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
As a Developer Advocate for Confluent, you will help developers be successful using Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, and Confluent technologies and feel awesome while they do it.
You’ll create awareness & curiosity in technical practitioner communities, drive product feedback to our engineering teams, and generally help the rest of the company connect with the community. Your goal will be to get devs interested in learning more and “kicking the tires”, getting involved in the community, and ultimately to be successful with our technologies and products.
You’ll do this by engaging devs and communities with valuable, creative, hands-on technical content you’ve created, going where the devs are (a mix of in-person & online community and industry events, customer briefings, etc).
You’re eager to be part of a diverse distributed team with big goals, and you have an unremittingly positive attitude. Ultimately, you will help developers achieve our mission: to build a streaming data platform and put it at the heart of every company.
- Write sample code, build creative new conference talks, make screencasts, make compelling tutorial videos, and write some of the best blog posts the streaming data world has ever seen
- Engage/present at conferences and meetups online and in person with the community of developers, ops professionals, and other distributed systems enthusiasts around the world, teaching and inspiring them to apply event streaming technologies more effectively
- Help other developers by interacting on Confluent Community Slack, Stack Overflow, Twitter, GitHub, or places where developers come for help online
- Represent the developer community to the Confluent product and engineering teams, making sure that everything we build is easy to learn and sensible to use
- Collaborate on and support initiatives in our developer strategy (content, community, training, engagement) centered around developer.confluent.io.
Skills & Experience
- You’re a seasoned software developer
- You enjoy teaching, making complex concepts simple, and reframing technology in a way that inspires
- You can write top-quality code samples and mini-applications to demonstrate the technologies you want to teach
- You’re a great writer and can create compelling technical presentations and blog posts
- You can record screencasts and instructional videos of your talks and articles
- You’re a fun, confident speaker at conferences and meetups—even online
- You can convincingly argue from the developer's perspective, and persuade internal stakeholders for improvements to the developer experience or engagement strategy.
What Gives You an Edge:
- You’re experienced with non-JVM languages
- You know something about distributed systems, data streaming, and pipelining, and maybe even Kafka or Flink
- You constantly keep up to date on the latest technologies related to Confluent, streaming data, and distributed systems
- You’re active/known in a technical community - as an open source contributor, thought leader, organizer, helping others on Slack/Stack Overflow, etc
- You know a thing or two about enterprise scenarios and how to connect the dots between developer motions and business impact and understand the “why” as well as the “what” behind Confluent’s “data in motion” mission. You enjoy helping developers and technical decision-makers understand the “why” as well as the “what” behind Confluent’s “data in motion” mission.
Set data in motion