Head of Developer Relations/Community
About the Job
Vaticle is a team of people driven to empower engineers to solve complex problems. We are the creators of the strongly-typed database, TypeDB, and its query language, TypeQL. Our technology helps organizations in various industries, including Life Sciences, Defence & Security, Financial Services and Robotics, to build intelligent systems that tackle complex problems. From financial analytics to drug discovery, cyber threat detection to robotics disaster recovery, our technology empowers engineers around the world to tackle a higher order of complexity in data and knowledge.
We've built a pioneering developer community of 12k+ engineers, spread over 20 countries, and counting. To continue pursuing this vision, we need to build a team of individuals who are not just the best and brightest in what they do, but also driven by a strong sense of purpose and compassion for the world.
As our Head of Developer Relations/Community, you will nurture and grow our global community of software engineers developing with database technology. You will drive online and in-person programs and initiatives to engage new and existing developers in our community, as well as be the chief ambassador of our company to our community. You will work directly with our CMO, product team, and Founder/CEO, as you build a vibrant developer community and the organization around it. You will drive the growth of the global developer community developing with our technologies -- both open-source and commercial.
The domain that you will work in is highly technical: open-source software, developer tools, database technologies, and cloud infrastructure. It is paramount that you have strong experience in these domains, and bring the expertise needed to scale the organization to succeed in the developer ecosystem. Our main target market is the US, and thus you must bring with you expertise on how to market to the US technology industry.
Currently, our company is headquartered in London, United Kingdom. As our Head of Developer Relations/Community, you will join our newly formed organization in the US, along with 4-5 senior product, marketing, and sales leaders. We're also in the midst of setting up a beautiful and spacious office in downtown Palo Alto.
Our main technologies are TypeDB (open-source) and TypeDB Enterprise (commercial). The latter will also be distributed via TypeDB Cloud (launching in Q3 2023), our cloud distribution platform where developers can deploy TypeDB Enterprise instantly in their preferred cloud environment. Your goal is to grow the community of developers building on TypeDB, TypeDB Cluster, and TypeDB Cloud.
Your responsibilities will be comprised of 3 main pillars:
- Build partnerships with relevant communities and organizations to expand and strengthen our community.
- Drive initiatives and events that allow new and existing community members to learn and master TypeDB.
- Create and run programs that engage and drive the growth of our community autonomously.
Fulfilling your goals above will involve a wide range of initiatives, such as running Meetups, webinars, hackathons, and workshops, partnering with relevant developer conferences and communities, driving engagement programs that celebrate the work and nurture the leadership of our community members, and various other community initiatives.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized university
- 6+ years of experience as a marketing/community manager
- 3+ years of experience as a Developer Relations/Community Manager
- Deep knowledge in developer technologies, such as databases, distributed systems, and cloud infrastructures
- Strong experience in working with open-source developer communities
- Strong experience in working with early-stage technologies and entrepreneurial teams
- Strong experience in growing developer communities
- Strong experience in driving engagement of developer communities
- Strong track record in running successful developer events
- Excellent leadership, coaching, and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication, documentation, writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent systems thinker with a leadership and entrepreneurial drive to build organizations
Strongly desirable (i.e. bonus) skills:
- Experience in working as a software engineer or similar technical roles
- University degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Driven by a strong sense of purpose and vision
- Talented, collaborative and ambitious team
- Part of a vibrant and pioneering global community of technologists
- Open-source technology at heart -- we contribute to our community
- Generous contribution to top-tier personal and family health care plan
- Generous stock options package -- we share the success
Your application has been successfully submitted.