Developer Experience Writer
About the Job
A DX Writer is an expert practitioner with a deep understanding of the product and the needs of users of the product. A DX Writer in Tyk takes a user and developer-centred approach focusing on writing technical product content from the end user perspective.
Your audience will be technologists such as developers, architects, and technology leaders. To be successful in this role you must have a technical background in software development or engineering and recent experience with APIs, docker, k8s, Helm charts and Hugo.
Our documentation is a crucial part of Tyk’s user and customer journey and as such, this is a fantastic opportunity to influence their developer experience, build a best-in-class Documentation centre for our users and be part of Tyk’s success.
- Responsible for creating the content for Tyk official docs, ensuring documentation is delivered to a world-class level of details
- Writing technical documents for new capabilities
- Help establish supporting guidelines and standards for the docs team.
- Contribute to continuous improvement projects of the docs
- Use and test the product on a regular basis when writing new content, fixing it or improving existing and old content based on your experience
- Work closely with many areas of the business, including product, product managers, engineers, compliance, legal and marketing.
- Ensure content gaps reported internally and externally are filled and docs are up to date. This requires being able to investigate and test the product independently.
Skills & Experience
- Technical experience and understanding of engineering or SW development – Required
- Engineering background or past/present working as an engineer – Desired
- Current experience with APIs, IDEs and HTTP clients (such as postman, curl, Httpie etc.) – Required
- Able to create simple diagrams, graphics and videos to improve UX – Required
- Diagram as code (i.e. mingrammer, PlantUML, mermaid) – Desired
- Technical writer skills
- Writing technical content for developers and B2B products- Required
- Excellent spoken and written English (native or fluent) – Required
- Knowledge in git, GitHub and Markdown – Required
- US English knowledge – Desired
- Hugo, Algolia, Desired, JS, Github actions – Desired
- Live and breathe technology, APIs and Tyk products
- A learning mindset and eagerness to understand our products.
- A keen eye for detail and a fondness for accurate language and clear sentences.
- Enjoys making sure various pages are linked in a logical manner and work restlessly to improve if that’s not the case.
- Have an inquisitive mind; be able to put yourself in somebody else’s shoes and crucially not be afraid to ask why
- Thrive working under pressure to deliver fast, high-impact results
- Passionate about the UXDX ( user and developer experience)
- Initiative personality
- Product understanding (user-centred design): You can demonstrate a high level of technical understanding of APIs, Open API spec, GraphQL, docker, and Kubernetes (You will need to test our product as an end user)
- Developer experience & focus: As a (current or ex) developer, you can understand users and especially developers and identify who they are and what their needs are, based on evidence. You can engage in meaningful interactions and relationships with users, engineers and product managers while managing competing priorities.
- Developer-centred content design: You can design content to meet developer needs and make complex language and processes easy to understand. You can use data and evidence (such as Google Analytics) to make informed decisions about content. You can demonstrate experience in writing, editing and publishing developer-centred content. You can review and evaluate content to improve it. You can apply a continuous improvement mindset to your work. You can understand and implement style and standards.
- Prototyping: You can apply technical product knowledge and experience to design page structures and templates to create a consistent experience and develop a good understanding of the docs infrastructure architecture and website map.
- Stakeholder relationship management: You can identify, analyse, manage and monitor relationships with and between stakeholders. You can communicate with stakeholders from various squads and teams clearly and regularly, clarifying mutual needs and commitments through consultation and consideration of impacts, while concentrating on our user needs.
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Your application has been successfully submitted.