Staff Technical Writer, SQL
About the Job
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
We're looking for a Staff Technical Writer to join our team and help us create outstanding documentation that educates and guides our global community of customers and open source users to success, with a particular focus on the application developer experience.
Reporting to Lauren Hirata Singh, Manager, Documentation
Lauren is all about clear and concise documentation, and joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. She is constantly grateful for the passion and dedication that both the company and open-source community has for the CockroachDB docs. Previously, Lauren worked at a few other NYC-based tech companies, and has experience as a writer on a larger Docs team, as well as being a company’s only tech writer. When she’s not at work, Lauren can be found spending time with her family, swimming, and watching basketball.
- Put yourself in the shoes of developers building applications on CockroachDB.
- Write concise and informative how-tos and tutorials, intuitive explanations of complex topics and features, and comprehensive CLI and API reference documentation.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB and accompanying technologies.
- Contribute to defining and evolving the Documentation team’s processes and conventions.
- Foster collaboration with our Training, Engineering, Product, Support, and Customer Success teams to keep our documentation up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
- In your first 30 days, you have completed onboarding and developed enough expertise to begin your first documentation project. You will have also started to review and edit documentation written by other technical writers on the team. You will use CockroachDB hands-on throughout this experience. We believe that it's important to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
- After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will oversee documenting the CockroachDB’s SQL observability and schema features. You'll design and improve documentation conventions, processes, and tools to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the documentation process. As our user base grows, you will be a part of developing the team to accommodate higher demands for education. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB and that requires excellent documentation from you and the team.
Skills & Experience
- 5-7+ recent years of technical writing experience.
- A passion for writing and editing developer documentation, including tactical how-tos, end-to-end tutorials, and detailed CLI and API reference. You are passionate about clarity, concision, and correctness.
- Recent experience with Markdown, HTML, CSS, and UNIX, as well as source control systems like git.
- Familiarity with, or are willing to learn about, the various technologies that make web-scale applications function.
- A love for information. You enjoy getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- A passion for building relationships with internal and external users to get feedback and identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database