Lead Developer Advocate
About the Job
OneSignal is a leading omnichannel customer engagement solution, powering personalized customer journeys across mobile and web push notifications, in-app messaging, SMS, and email. On a mission to democratize engagement, we enable over a million businesses to keep their users - including readers, fans, players and shoppers - engaged and up to date by delivering 10 billion messages daily.
1 in 7 new apps launches using OneSignal! We support companies in 140 countries, including Zynga, USA Today, Bitcoin.com, Upwork, Tribune, and many more - from startups and small businesses just getting off the ground to established companies communicating with millions of customers.
We’re venture-backed by SignalFire, Rakuten Ventures, Y Combinator, HubSpot, and BAM Elevate (read more about our recent Series C!). We’re a remote-first company, offering remote work as the default option in the United States in California, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah as well as in the UK and Singapore - with plans to expand the locations we support in the future. We also have offices in San Mateo, CA, New York City, and London, UK.
OneSignal has a lot of the great tech startup qualities you'd expect, but we don't stop there. Our massive scale and small team, emphasis on healthy life balance and kindness in all our interactions, and focus on ownership and personal growth make OneSignal a uniquely great place to work.
About The Team:
The mission of our Developer Relations team is to educate, engage, and empower developers with OneSignal’s rich, intelligent, omni-channel messaging solution using code, content, context, and community. We’re polyglot engineers on a mission to help developers.
As our Lead Developer Advocate, you will lead our worldwide developer advocacy efforts. You will be responsible for evolving and executing on a strategy that defines how OneSignal builds relationships with developers across the globe.
We are seeking a driven, experienced, and enthusiastic leader to help us elevate our relationship with our developer community and drive the next round of 10x growth at OneSignal.
- Support and lead-by-example a growing team of Developer Relations experts
- Support and compress information to empower our Product and Marketing functions. Partner with other engineering and marketing leads to drive forward OneSignal thought leadership
- Serve as the Voice of the Developer. Providing strategic product feedback and meaningful Developer Experience context to our broader organization
- Contribute to documentation, code samples, and sample projects
- Speak and represent OneSignal at conferences. Lead events to engage developers about OneSignal's product. Plan and review DevRel contributions to Content & Event Marketing efforts
- Write technical blog posts and tutorials for the OneSignal blog or partner blogs
- Participate in online communities & forums with target audiences (Unity forum, StackOverflow, etc). Manage our OneSignal Developer Community
- Engage with developers where they are; troubleshooting customer issues, and developing or directing software system testing or validation procedures, programming, or documentation.
- Conduct research on ecosystem trends, upstream software changes, and deepening domain knowledge.
Skills & Experience
- 6+ years experience in technical roles (Technical Program Manager, Software Engineer, Partner Engineer, Developer Advocate, Technical Writing, etc.)
- 5+ years experience developing in at least one of Web, Mobile, Desktop, Backend or Games development environments
- 1+ years experience as a people manager of a technical group or DevRel team
- Deep expertise in developer advocacy and community engagement
- Proficiency in written and oral communications with a strong affinity for technical writing and obsession with creating content that inspires developers to adopt our products and build
- Customer driven mentality, with a drive to go above and beyond to make sure our customers are successful
- Experience writing SDKs, Client Libraries, or other Developer Tools
- Experience leveraging empathy for making better developer products
We value a variety of experiences, and these are not required. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in any of the following:
- Ability to establish relationships and build rapport to inform decision-making across the company
- Expertise at building strong relationships with technical and non-technical audiences, and ability to leverage creative thinking and efficient processes to improve Developer Experience
- Experience growing developer relations functions
- Polyglot engineer. Broad knowledge of diverse development environments
- Active engagement with a developer community
- Experience with vendor management.
Qualities we look for:
- Friendliness & Empathy
- Accountability & Collaboration
- Proactiveness & Urgency
- Growth Mindset & Love of Learning
Your application has been successfully submitted.