Staff/Senior Staff Engineer, XR Developer Relations
About the Job
Qualcomm's XR business is seeking a highly skilled candidate to lead end to end developer support assisting developer partners building XR software applications as part of our Developer Relations group for Snapdragon Spaces. The primary role of this individual is to lead a developer relations engineering support program to equip third-party developers with the support and tools for building best-in-class XR apps on our AR Glasses platform. Support is handled via two main modes of operation.
Reactive support guides developers by listening to and reproducing issues, iterative trial and error until finally unblocking them as they learn how to code to the platform features, reporting any technical issues and feature requests into the product. This may be done online or in-person, remote or on-site depending on the needs of the developer and the level of support required.
Additionally, pro-active support tasks involve building prescriptive samples, documentation, tutorials, and identifying the appropriate R&D tasks to build the best learning plan for developers as features come online and the platform evolves.
An ideal candidate will have both strong technical skill in XR development as well as exceptional communication skills to work with a variety of partners of all skill types. This role requires a strong desire on the candidate’s part to enable partners to build XR content, finding fulfillment and satisfaction in the success of their developers. To that end, candidate should possess a diverse background in the areas of both mobile AR and emergent VR/AR head-mounted display technologies, with experience using spatial interactions, to be able to provide XR design and engineering recommendations besides traditional debugging and optimization tasks.
The environment is fast-paced and requires cross-functional interaction daily so excellent communication, planning and execution skills are a must. This is a unique opportunity to work with cutting-edge AR hardware, and contribute to the future of mobile AR.
This role interfaces with both business units in both the United States Pacific Time Zone as well as multiple teams in Central and Western Europe, and requires a level of flexibility to interface with groups across regions on a weekly basis.
At the heart of the Qualcomm XR Business unit, we are passionate about next generation graphics technologies and delivering exceptional utilitarian Enterprise experiences. Our highly creative teams are full of veteran game developers, artists, game engine experts and graphics enthusiasts who work on our latest GPU and gaming hardware innovations around mobile, PC, VR, and AR.
- Lead the end-to-end Developer Support Product, working directly on the frontlines while also scaling the team knowledge base and optimizing processes.
- Manage developer relationships and provide direct support both online and offline to assist developers in bringing their applications to life on the Spaces platform
- Provide developers with advanced knowledge of Qualcomm’s current and future technology with a clear understanding of how they can leverage for immersive XR experiences
- Drive product feature requirements by sourcing insights directly from developers and internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to understand the full capabilities of the Snapdragon Spaces XR development platform and roadmap; be able to clearly communicate to the developer community
- Collaborate with internal subject matter experts in technology, user experience and product design to guide developers’ efforts
- Collaborate with internal teams to create and maintain developer resources such as documentation, guides, sample code, and tutorials
- Identify gaps and opportunities for improving our developer resources
- Collaborate with internal marketing and business teams to launch Spaces developer-focused promotions and events globally
- Participate in and help to facilitate Qualcomm’s engagement in developer industry events, meetups, hackathons and similar
- Drive the launch efforts of products and technologies for own area of responsibility by staying up to date on technological developments and customer needs through direct customer contact.
- Seeks out market information and displays an understanding of the marketplace to contribute to the product roadmap.
- Directs the development of moderately complex products and services under some supervision and communicates with individuals across functional teams.
- Stays up to date on competitors, technological advances, and product ecosystem and supports the development and design of new products.
- Be a constant advocate for Spaces developers
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree is in Engineering, Information Systems, or related field
- 3+ years of immersive (AR / VR / MR) industry experience developing XR software, or in developer relations related roles
- Ability to extract and synthesize data from qualitative and quantitative sources
- Strong interpersonal skills working with a range of developer experience levels
- The ability to develop and maintain solid, credible relationships both externally and internally
- Capable of resolving conflicts constructively
- Ability to promote ideas persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams including engineering, product, legal, finance and operations
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Highly collaborative and team player
- Tendency to be curious and a life-long learner
- An understanding or knowledge of key technical concepts unique to XR
- Flexibility to work outside your job scope
- Ability to travel 35%
Preferred, but not required qualifications:
- 3-5+ years of immersive (AR / VR / MR) industry experience developing XR application software, or in developer relations related roles
- 1-3+ years of Experience with hands-on software development building AR / VR applications on mobile and headset using game engines such as Unity and Unreal
- 5+ years of experience with programming (e.g., C, C++, Python), computer architecture, or embedded systems.
- 3+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with senior leadership (e.g., Principal/Director level and above).
- Experience working directly with XR developer partners in a business or technical capacity
Your application has been successfully submitted.