Technical Writer / Customer Success
About the Job
This is your chance to be part of a small, growing team in an exciting startup. We are profitable, entirely bootstrapped (no VCs to keep happy), and with huge potential for growth.
Testpad is a SaaS tool for managing test plans. It’s for dev and test teams who are in a mess with spreadsheets, and want something more user-friendly than traditional heavyweight “test case management”.
Testpad has been built and run by a solo founder for over a decade, and we are now building a team of awesome people to accelerate the growth of the company’s unique product.
Testpad is looking for a talented Tech Writer and Customer Success Manager to join our dynamic team and play a pivotal role in shaping our customer's success by providing them with accurate and comprehensive documentation and support. In this role you will build out our library of help docs and written/video Q&A’s to address customer questions before they ask them. You will be supported by the Founder (a full-stack developer) and the rest of the team as required.
This role is fully remote, and can be part or full-time.
Write technical help documentation
Write concise software how-to and help guides for Testpad customers using the platform:
- Follow our existing content style, and write directly to the reader. In line with the company philosophy, our documentation is friendly, concise and consistent.
- Become familiar and confident with how to use our software (which is fairly straightforward)
- Manage the process of creating, annotating and updating screenshots for the guides
- Update articles and create written or video Q&A sections in response to customer support questions
- Technical direction and guidance available from the founder and the existing team
Provide awesome technical customer support as required (this is a smaller part of the role than producing technical documentation, but is expected to grow as the customer base grows).
- Able to respond to technical customer queries, through our HelpScout support channel
- Address customer questions with politeness, patience and respect (because we know customers can sometimes be exasperating)
- Able to determine WHY customers are asking questions, and both answer the question(s) asked and provide wider context
- Know when to ask for clarification or escalate to the senior engineer or founder
Produce short explainer videos
- Create a video library of short explainer videos (visual Q&A), based on customer requests and your own initiative.
- This will include creating outlines and scripts, recording videos of workflows with screen recording software, and managing the video creation process.
- You won’t need to be the star of these videos - the customers don’t need to see your face (unless you want them to), and you can either voice these videos yourself or we can have another staff member follow your script.
Skills & Experience
- Experience in writing technical help documentation, ideally for a SaaS company
- Patience, for dealing with customer questions
- A gift for explaining sometimes confusing topics in clear and easy to follow language
- An annoying attention to detail in grammar and spelling
- Excellent written English skills - your writing will be indistinguishable to us from a native English speaker
- To be a self-starter, and able to work independently
- Your own computer (Mac preferred), internet connection and somewhere to work
What’s in it for you?
- US$1,800 to $2,400 per month*
- Part-time (full-time option)
- Fully remote
- Flexible working hours
- Five weeks of paid holidays per year
- Salary increase opportunities based on performance, contribution, and the growth of Testpad
- Opportunity to have a significant impact on Testpad’s customer perception
* Please note that this is the gross salary for a full-time equivalent position, and that you are responsible for any tax-related procedures in your country of residence. Part-time salary will be a sliding pay scale depending on hours worked. We kindly ask you to apply only if you are happy to work remotely as an independent contractor.