Community Manager, Students
About the Job
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
In this role you can work from Remote, United States
The GitHub Education team is looking for a full-time team member to work with our Campus Experts!
GitHub Campus Experts are students who build technical communities on campus with training and support from GitHub. They can be found all over the world, leading computer science clubs, organizing hackathons for hundreds of students, or doing outreach programs to local communities. By becoming a GitHub Campus Expert, a student gains privileged access to resources (sponsorship, swag, global community), further educational resources (training, webinars, access to GitHub employees), and opportunities (scholarships, conference attendance).
GitHub Campus Experts exist first and foremost to better the technical community on their campus. When applicants join the program, they write a plan defining how they will impact their campus, and our only expectation of them throughout the program is that they enact that plan. This plan does not require any explicit GitHub interactions; for example, we do not enforce the presentation of workshop topics relevant to GitHub. A Campus Expert is not a Student Ambassador: improving their community is the primary goal, with GitHub supporting that goal.
As a Community Manager on the GitHub Education team, you will support students building technical communities around the world. You will work closely with Education’s Product and Engineering teams to highlight areas of the work we’re doing to support students and be responsible for growing and maintaining the Campus Experts program. Your primary goal is to support students in building their skills and connecting with like-minded individuals in the tech industry. This will involve engaging with students, organizing events and workshops, and providing resources to help them succeed.
- Help execute the student program strategy, roadmap, and success metrics.
- Moderate, listen, and regularly engage with our fantastic community members, providing them with support, mentorship, and resources.
- Constantly gather feedback from the community and bring those insights to the appropriate internal teams.
- Escalate and flag issues as needed to keep the community a trusted space.
- Help manage and execute a community content strategy, including organizing learning days and workshops.
- Manage all internal and external community documentation.
- Create and update community application, onboarding, and offboarding processes.
Skills & Experience
- 3+ years of experience in community management and hosting online and in-person events.
- Experience with public speaking and content creation.
- Experience working with or leading a technical community.
- Experience working with various online community platforms and tools.
- Passionate about being a community and customer advocate. You understand why customer voices are essential and thrive in finding innovative ways to support them.
- Flexibility and adapting quickly to priority changes.
- Experience leveraging data to drive solutions and cross-company collaboration.
- Experience with software development or familiarity with GitHub's products and services.
- Technical understanding and ability to pick up new tools quickly.
- Fantastic interpersonal skills is a great listener and is extraordinarily empathetic.
The complete developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software