Community and Events Manager
About the Job
As a successful and rapidly growing open-source project, with an active community of users, Dagster Labs produces many events in both virtual and in-person formats. As we scale up our efforts across the board, we are looking to hireour first events manager.
In addition to 6 community meetings a year, several trade shows, and meetups, we organize two large Launch Week virtual events.
The first focus of this role will be to develop a calendar of high-impact events for both go-to-market (lead-generating) activities as well as community events for existing users, partners, our user council, etc. Basically, if we bring together large groups to discuss Dagster, you will be our go-to person.
You will manage our Slack instance (Currently an 8000+ strong community), inject energy into that forum, and guide other Dagster Labs experts to answer questions here, and in other social media channels (i.e. YouTube or Reddit questions).
The second focus is to plan and execute events specifically focused on building and energizing our existing community of users (both paying and free, open-source users). This includes our 8,000+ Slack users as well as the many users worldwide who use Dagster everyday.
This is a full-time, competitively-paid position with benefits. We are a distributed team with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Minneapolis. We have team members all over the U.S. and we are hiring fully remote candidates in the U.S. Every employee is provided a remote work stipend to cover the cost of home office equipment and anything else that makes your remote work location comfortable, productive, or successful. And if you’d rather not work from home, we’ll cover the cost of a coworking or office space if you’re fully remote.
We will look to you to help plan out the events, coordinate the content creation, handle event logistics (real world or virtual), manage registrants, manage the run-of-show and ultimately deliver high quality, high impact events that are engaging and achieve their business outcomes.
More tactically, your responsibilities will include
Planning and executing Community engagement efforts:
- Devise tactics for attracting more Dagster users and enthusiasts to our community
- Plan and deliver on events that the community will find compelling
- Work with clients, users, and Dagster Labs experts to help showcase Dagster through use cases and demos
- Ensure we maximize the reach of these events, both in the moment and by smartly repurposing and sharing out the content post-event.
Creating a process/framework for running events:
- Researching, advising on, implementing, and managing an online platform for virtual events (including registration/attendee management, promotion, production, and webcasting).
Producing high-quality events:
- Working with the head of Growth, plan out and manage a schedule of events
- Plan and coordinate rehearsals
- Handle logistics such as scheduling, purchasing, booking space, and working with venues.
Helping produce content:
- We are looking for a multi-talented person who can also help produce content (video editing) and promoting the event (promoting via our social media channels).
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in the following:
- 3 to 5 years of experience fostering technology-centric user communities (ideally open-source), developing and managing engagement efforts.
- Creative approaches to understanding the needs of our community and then channeling those insights into world-class events that build loyalty and grow adoption
- Event planning/logistics for both virtual and live events.
- Excellent scheduling and time management skills and demonstrated experience in juggling events with multiple presenters and tight production schedules.
- Managing/running virtual events on different webcasting platforms, including registration management and pre-/post-event promotion and follow-up.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in DevTools and data-centric communities
- Video editing/production experience
- Experience in managing social media campaigns
Building out Dagster, the data orchestration platform built for productivity