Head of Product Marketing
About the Job
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
Why PlanetScale Marketing?
The Marketing team at PlanetScale drives awareness and adoption of our database platform through storytelling, brand activations, demand generation, community building, and education. We are responsible for transforming how the industry thinks about using and developing alongside databases. We are changing the game, and that’s no easy feat.
We are currently hiring a Head of Product Marketing who will be responsible for developing and implementing product strategy, positioning, pricing and messaging for our products. You will also be responsible for generating competitive intelligence and to use market and customer research to provide the best insights for the business.
- Define and understand our personas and ICP
- Develop and consistently refine the product narrative, positioning, and messaging for PlanetScale's products
- Lead conversations around pricing and packaging to better suit the needs of our customers and the business
- Plan and own product launches (new products + product updates), working with our cross-functional team to execute it both internally and externally
- Be an expert on our competition and how they are positioned
- Create content, including case studies, solution briefs, web content, presentations, data sheets, whitepapers and sales playbooks
- Be the point person for the GTM teams around the product
- Provide input about product priorities and goals to product management and engineering
- Lead the company product enablement and create and execute training on messaging, positioning, competition, product features, etc.
- Prepare materials and engage with Industry analysts as needed
- Manage and grow a customer reference program to engage our customers and to showcase customer success delivering case studies, presentations and managing the process
Skills & Experience
- You have a technical background and can understand and communicate technical concepts easily
- Ability to communicate complex, disparate ideas in a clear and compelling way. Strong writing ability is a must
- Proactive driver of progress. Can own areas of responsibility with high autonomy
- Ruthless prioritizer / multi-tasker always asking what the highest leverage task is to solve
- Versatile problem solver able to use the right tool for the job
- Able to coordinate across many teams and perform in a fast-moving startup environment
- A self-starter, motivated by continuously solving hard problems
What you will need:
- 7-10 years of experience in a Product Marketing role, ideally in a startup environment in the developer space
- You have led a product marketing team for at least 2 years
- Experience building trusted relationships with executive sponsors and end users
- Technical background or clear understanding of developer products, ideally experience with databases or related products
- Demonstrated experience building credibility with and delivering results for product teams, sales teams and customers
- Systems thinker able to transform a messy, undefined problem into a repeatable process
- Analytical, very comfortable telling a story with data
- Solid project management skills: ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional partners, prioritize high impact activities, and keep complex projects moving forward
- Proficient in spoken and excellent written English
- Experience working in a remote organization
The Database for Developers