Growth Marketing Manager
About the Job
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
Why PlanetScale Marketing?
The Marketing team at PlanetScale drives awareness and adoption of our database platform through storytelling, brand activations, growth and demand generation, community building, and education. We are responsible for transforming how the industry thinks about using and developing alongside databases. We are changing the game, and that’s no easy feat.
We are currently hiring a Growth Marketing Manager who will be responsible for the development and execution of product-led growth (PLG) strategies to evolve our self-serve business and its further expansion to sales-led deals. From understanding our product, how we acquire users to how they activate and convert you will be focused on finding and testing the right levers to enhance the experience for our customers and improve our overall conversions.
- You will work to help identify channels and tactics that are working well to acquire new self serve free and paid customers and will work with the respective teams iterate and evolve those strategies
- You will understand deeply the user journey and the friction points and will work to improve our activation metrics
- Together with developer education, you will be responsible for planning and executing campaigns focused on self serve activation across multiple channels (email, web, paid, live chat, etc) and across multiple stages of the funnel
- You will do user research and engage directly with users to understand their pain points and needs and will monitor the user base constantly looking for opportunities
- You will run pilots and experiments to test hypotheses to inform our bigger decisions
- You will work identifying opportunities for further expansion in accounts at the right timing by leveraging a Sales Engagement (PQL)
- You will act as a concierge for our most strategic self serve customers making sure they are getting a good experience with the product and unlocking any blockers for them
- Your day to day will involve analyzing data and metrics to identify trends and use these to create insights that can inform how we optimize to drive growth
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, sales, developer education, and product and engineering teams to identify and prioritize opportunities to better serve our self serve users
Skills & Experience
- A lover of data and can analyze a self serve funnel; you can identify and size different growth opportunities and the various ways to meet them and prioritize accordingly
- The ability to think strategically and develop comprehensive, data-driven growth action
- You love optimization and can understand the benefits of having a self serve and sales serve motions happening together
- You are familiar with many marketing tactics and the best approach to engage with developers
- An energetic and willing attitude
- Experience working cross-functionally with marketers, engineers, analysts and product managers
- The ability to synthesize complex ideas into actionable recommendations for senior executives
- You want to be an active contributor to the product feedback loop and advocate for users internally
- A hungry, infectious personality: we’re looking for someone determined and able to win
- Thrives in and is able to help create an experimentation-centric culture
Skills & Experience
- 3+ years’ experience in PLG focused demand generation or growth marketing in a B2B Saas company, preferably in developer tooling
- Solid project management skills: ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional partners, prioritize high impact activities, and keep complex projects moving forward
- Proficient on self serving on analytics needs from SQL queries to using Analytics tools like Tableau, Looker, Mode, etc.
- Good Knowledge of the marketing tools so you can work independently if needed (e.g., Salesforce, Hubspot, Google Analytics, SEM Rush, google trends, google search console, google tag manager, Segment, SFDC, Excel)
- Good knowledge of the developer landscape and forums and tools they use (e.g., StackOverflow, GitHub, documentation, dev.to, blogs,etc.)
- Proficient in spoken and written English
What else will help you be successful:
- Experience working in a remote organization
- Basic knowledge of open source development and communities
- Experience with developer tooling and/or technical cloud products
The Database for Developers