About the Job
At Render we are building a powerful, easy-to-use cloud platform to host anything online: from simple static sites to complex applications with dozens of microservices. Render offers the flexibility of traditional cloud providers without their complexity and maintenance headaches so developers and businesses can focus on building products instead of managing servers.
We're a talented and diverse group solving a problem faced by every development team. We iterate quickly while placing the utmost importance on user experience, quality, and reliability. We push ourselves to do better every day. With tens of thousands of customers and rapidly increasing revenue, we're on to something big.
We're looking for candidates with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. We use reasoned discussion and constant feedback to improve as individuals and as a company. We cultivate mutual trust and respect, empowering us to debate ideas effectively and create the best outcomes for our customers and our team.
We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups in the tech community to apply and understand that not all successful candidates will meet each requirement listed.
Our interview process is unique to each role, and we value the candidate experience just as much as our customer experience. We hope your conversations with us reflect a thoughtful process that is illuminative, enjoyable, and respectful of your time.
As a Developer Advocate at Render, you will foster and grow an engaged and collaborative developer community around a platform that hundreds of thousands of developers love. You'll inspire developers and teams to build better products faster through innovative applications that leverage Render's ever-expanding feature set. You'll write code, publish blog posts, engage in technical discussions, and help identify developer needs underserved by traditional Platform-as-a-Service cloud solutions. As an ambassador of Render, you'll build Render's reputation as the developer platform of choice for deploying apps and services to the cloud.
- Create and share quickstart guides, sample applications, tutorials, and other online content to drive the adoption of Render and engage our global developer community
- Promote Render in developer forums, technical meetups, and startup communities
- Support and advise integration partners and open-source projects offering Render as a deploy option for their users
- Represent Render through speaking engagements at conferences and meetups, in person and online
- Identify opportunities for Render to improve support for popular and emerging languages and frameworks
- Partner with Marketing and Product to grow Render's audience and support developers throughout their journey
Skills & Experience
- 6+ years of experience, with most of that time working on Developer Relations or Engineering teams
- Strong engineering skills to leverage in building example apps and supporting customers in their experience building on Render
- A keen eye for excellent developer experience and the skill to create tutorials, quickstart guides, and similar content to help developers successfully onboard to Render
- Experience working with and knowledge of how to connect with and navigate established language and framework communities
- Ability to balance insights and data with creativity and intuition to create unique and differentiated ways to connect and grow Render's developer community
- Exceptional communication skills across writing and conversation
- A passion for working with developers and building developer communities
- An openness and enthusiasm around traveling to developer conferences and meetups
- Learn Render's platform
- Build an app using several core Render features, including web services, private services, and a database
- Write and share a summary of your experience building on Render
- Shadow a support engineer for a day to learn more about the issues developers are facing
- Shadow sales calls to learn more about our high-value leads and their needs
- Review Render Examples and get insight from the Activation team to identify two to three high-leverage improvements to get started flows for key languages (e.g., Node, NextJS, etc.)
- Join Slack and Discord teams for relevant language and framework communities
- Start engaging with the conversation about Render on key online communities, including Reddit and Twitter
- Build a system for evaluating the impact of investment in tutorials and Render Examples (quickstart guides)
- With input from Marketing and Product, identify two to three language or framework communities to focus on developing strong relationships with and ensuring that Render's native environments and platform broadly support these languages and frameworks
- Regularly join sales calls to help explain and provide basic onboarding support for developers just starting to use Render
- Partner with Marketing to develop a plan to participate in conferences and meetups
- Review and update Native Environments for the top two to three languages on Render
- Operationalize ongoing improvements to the quickstart guides and native environments based on feedback from the community and adoption data
- Support sales calls on an ongoing basis to help high-value customers onboard to Render successfully
- Start speaking and representing Render in external communities, at meetups or conferences
- Operationalize participation in online communities to advocate for Render
- Publish a technical blogpost on Render's blog with content of interest to our developer community
Salary & Benefits
- Our openings span more than one career level. The starting salary for this role is between $130,000 and $200,000 USD. The provided salary depends on many factors, such as work experience and transferable skills, business needs and impact, and market demands.
- The opportunity is also eligible for equity with early exercise options and extended exercise windows.
- 4 weeks of paid vacation, available from day one.
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child. We will also work with you to create a supportive plan of return.
- Long-term disability, life insurance, and 401K plans.
- 100% employer-paid medical coverage and 99% employer-paid dental and vision coverage for you and a dependent. FSAs available too.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly mental health stipend
- Monthly commuter stipend for Bay Area employees, and a home office stipend for remote employees
- Continuous learning benefits & related support.
The modern cloud provider for all your apps and websites