Senior Software Engineer, Developer Experience
About the Job
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to improve code quality across our codebase by improving our CI system, test harness, static analyzers, and related tools. In this role, you’ll have a big impact on engineering productivity across the company: while our model-building tooling is world-class, there’s still enormous room for improvement.
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our users and for society as a whole. Our team is a quickly growing group of committed researchers, engineers, policy experts, and business leaders working together to build beneficial AI systems.
- Create fast, secure, repeatable developer environments to enable our developers and researchers to quickly move forward without compromising on security
- Secure our code to protect against advanced threat actors
- Implement CI and Static Analysis systems to identify issues before they impact users or researchers.
Skills & Experience
You might be a good fit if you:
- Have strong instincts for code quality and robustness
- Are comfortable debugging large-scale software systems
- Enjoy close collaboration with engineers and researchers with a variety of backgrounds and expertise
- Care about the societal impacts of your work
- Pick up slack, even if it goes outside your job description
Strong candidates may also have:
- Experience with Source Control tools such as git or mercurial
- Experience with build and packaging systems such as Docker, Python setuptools, or Nix
- Experience with linters and type checkers such as Flake8, Black, Mypy or Pyright
- Support a fast, secure developer environment by:
- Securing access to our models without negatively impacting productivity through cutting-edge security practices like two-party controls
- Supporting fast development loops and sharing through Notebooks.
- Improve Anthropic’s codebase-wide code quality by:
- Adding additional static analyzers or static analysis rules, while keeping the development feedback loop fast
- Ensuring dependencies are up-to-date and proactively increasing test coverage of dependencies
- Creating and improving novel debugging tools for large asynchronous and multiprocessing codebases
- Understanding notification strategies holistically and helping users control their notification preferences
- Speeding up cold image pulls and allocation of agents
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems