Engineering Manager, Developer Relations
About the Job
Meet Gorgias, the customer service platform designed for ecommerce merchants, and built to provide amazing experience to shoppers at scale on Shopify, BigCommerce, and Magento. Our product empowers merchants to manage all their customer service in one place over email, live chat, voice, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and SMS.
Everything we do is for our customers, and we’re currently serving over 12,000+ ecommerce merchants, including : Steve Madden, Timbuk2, Decathlon, and Sports Illustrated. They love us for our innovative product, our focus on their ecommerce needs, and, of course, our lightning-fast customer service response time.
We raised $25 million in our Series B round in December 2020 and $30 million in our Series C round in 2022. We more than doubled in size in every meaningful way: annual recurring revenue, the size of our customer base, and the size of our Gorgias team, for starters.
We’re still growing fast and looking for new teammates who want to grow with us.
Join our team for the opportunity to:
👩🏼💻Work with smart, passionate people every day
💪 Get extreme ownership over your work and results
🧠 Be treated like the expert you are
About the Developer Relationship Engineering Team
Thanks to a successful partner program and the development of multiple internal services, Gorgias’s Developer relation team is looking for a seasoned engineering manager to continue to support its growth. Notably, the team should continue to grow in size and support the following domain:
- Design central generic data models that would rule all the Ecommerce platforms Gorgias currently supports (Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce, WooCoommerce, Recharge…) by offering a structured model for the main objects (customers, orders, transactions, tickets…) thus enabling automation, analytics, and actions to scale on all platforms at once. This data will feed other Gorgias teams beyond the sole engineering department by exposing a public API.
- Emit, collect, and store structured events for the main domains of Gorgias: Support tickets, Billing events, User interactions with the platform. The goal is to guarantee events’ atomicity and unicity given millions of daily interactions. You should be able to promote idempotency of events.
- Interact with other teams to understand their needs in terms of modeling and data requirements. These models should be made accessible through data pipelines and APIs.
- You should be able to design software that takes into account auditing trails, security standards and allows us to derive investigations of security issues from them.
- The team is currently composed of 4 senior FS/BE engineers and the goal is to scale the team in number of contributors and scope
- Gorgias started its journey into event-driven architecture 1.5 year ago, and needs a new manager to promote and accelerate this change
- A great part of the actual challenge is to normalize the complexities around the EDA systems, especially how to design the software for eventual consistency, idempotency, and keeping the transactional boundaries safe
- Your role is to ensure the team can gear towards innovation through this architectural transformation, the Developer relations (DevRel) is a central piece in our organization and has ownership of our main Core domains (Tickets as Gorgias is a Helpdesk and Customers)
- The role is also open to 100% remote in Europe, in the following countries: France, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Moldova, Romania, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
- Design strong models and APIs in collaboration with senior ICs taking into consideration both external and internal developers’ constraints
- Specify abstraction levels to our data models and ingestion pipelines to guarantee reusability and maintainability at scale
- Work closely with a senior manager, a product manager, and a product designer within a CRM tribe. The goal is to align the vision of the squad within the tribe and align with your peers to set up clear and actionable goals for the team
Skills & Experience
- 5+ years experience in back-end
- 2+ years of experience as a team lead or in an engineering manager position
- Experience with high-traffic applications and continuous development/deployment
- Experience with distributed systems and asynchronous workloads
- Big plus if you have managed through architectural transformations, especially from Monolithic ones heavy on cron-jobs towards Event-driven architecture
- Desirable experience with Kafka, Python
- You care about working on applications that are putting the customer's needs first and you thrive in a fast-paced and distributed environment
- Competitive salary & equity (90th percentile of the market worldwide)
- 5 weeks of vacation (We follow each country's appropriate PTO Laws)
- Paid parental leave
- Latest MacBook Pro or equivalent
- Complimentary private health insurance (we use Alan)
- 50% of public transportation reimbursed (Vélib, Navigo, etc.)
- Personal credit card to buy lunches during the week (we use Swile)
- Get up to €700 to set up your workstation at home (working from home should feel breezy)
- Get up to €2000 of learning material (includes books, courses, training sessions, etc.)
- Every quarter, we organize an online company-wide summit to discuss where we’re going and strengthen social bonds. Once per year we organize offsite team retreats and company retreats! (Here is the photo album from our last company retreat in Mexico in 2022, when we were a total of 200 people!)
Respond in minutes, not days